Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Creature Tales

[Some pics have been "re-enacted" due to not being quick on my toes with the camera while in a crisis. :D]

Isn't this a lovely snake?




Here's the young man who spotted it first. (my wonderful oldest son, Evan)Evan's younger brother is the one who actually caught it...


We were cutting the grass at our church when Evan saw it. We have taught our children about snakes. They know the difference between poisonous and non-poisonous types. He saw it and knew it was not poisonous, so he lunged for it. He brought it home and measured it...3 1/2 feet LONG!! I don't think I have EVER seen a corn snake that long!

So...the meat of my story.

This is what it's temporary home was (we are going to get a 10gal tank for it). Of course, it did have a top on as well:



Here it sits, next to the stove (I wanted to make sure I could keep a close eye on that fellow)


Let's examine a little closer...




AACCCKKK!!!! Where did he go? OH MY! A 3 1/2 foot loose snake in the house? OK...deep breath! Maybe this is a good thing? Maybe he will eat any rodents we may have around? Do snakes eat roaches? That would be a plus! I can deal with this...breathe, breathe, breathe...Ok. I am better.

We left out yesterday evening for some fun and fellowship with our church family at a local park. This is a tradition we do nearly every Tuesday. We grill hotdogs and hamburgers while the children play soccer with a few of the menfolk and older youth. There is a few who indulge in the game of basketball as well (remind me to bring my camera next week so I can take pics).

This is what we came back to last night...


What a relief! I was the one who found him...in the dark. Ashame I can't play back my distraught scream for you. Oh well

Here is Goldy is in his/her new "temporary" home. We WILL be getting a tank for it...I promise, with some additional roommates to dine on every now and then.


Rest assured...there is a top for this container that he can't get open!
What an eventful day!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's gorgeous!!!

TinaJewel said...

Yikes! Any snake that comes my way is dead!
I am so scared of them!
TinaJewel

Anonymous said...

Ahem.


I think I'm glad that all the snakes around here are poisonous.


Kids don't bring home slithering friends when their tails rattle!

Tina said...

Wow, my kids would have been so excited! But I would have totally freaked out with a snake loose in my house!!

Unknown said...

Brandy - THANKS for stopping by my blog Ü

What a fun find, yours is.

HEY -- I see some friends here... Dana, TinaJewel, Chautona... FUN!